Monday, September 10, 2007

A number of my friends have taken to referring to me as their "blogger firend," at a loss to better explain what I do. A recent discussion about my official job description led to an examination of the taxonomic differences between a number of egghead related terminology. Am I a "nerd" or a "dork" or a "geek"? I argued strongly for "geek," a term that many in the blogosphere now wear as a badge of honor. "Geek" connotes levels of technical proficiency, advocacy, and dependency. I really like Lifehacker's tagline: "Don't live to geek. Geek to live."

A quick jaunt over to the interwebs yielded a very interesting query result from Dictionary.com on "geek."


geek (gēk) n.
1. a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.
2. a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)
3. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.


So, I join the esteemed geek ranks of Alice Cooper and Ozzy Osbourne. Strange company I unwittingly find myself keeping with my self-imposed title. Alas, such is the life of "blogger friend."

No comments: